university leadershipSenate Members
SENATE, EXAMINATIONS AND RECORDS SECTION
EXAMINATIONS AND RECORDS SECTION
The Section has been in existence since the inception of the University in July, 2002. The Unit is charged with preparing results for both students and parents/guardians.
Mrs.O.A Oyetunji – Senior Assistant Registrar
Mr. O.O. Odunewu – Assistant Registrar
Mr. A.A. Oluleye – Administrative Officer
Mrs. O.A. Adegboye – Administrative Officer
Mrs. O.A. Ayeni- Secretary
Unit’s Contact Telephone number – 081-0024-7396
• Compilation of names of students for the NYSC mobilization exercise.
• Postage of statements of result to Parents/Guardians of all students.
• Verification of O’Level results
• Issuance and verification of Certificates
• Processing of Transcripts for students
• Services scholarship, prizes and Bursary Committee
SENATE AND COMMITTEE OF PROVOST AND DEANS (CPD)
Senate and CPD is a section of the Academic affairs Unit of the Registry that handles all matters relating to Senate and CPD.
Senate of Bowen University held its inaugural meeting on Monday, 2nd December, 2002 under the Chairmanship of the pioneer Vice Chancellor, Professor J. K. Okedara with eleven (11) members. As the University expanded, its membership has been broadened to reflect the emerging Faculties and Departments. Senate through various Committees and Boards has tremendously promoted moral and academic excellence. This emphasizes the importance the University attaches to the attainment of excellence imbued with Godliness in all its programmes in consonance with its vision, mission and philosophy.
Composition of Senate
The composition of Senate is as follows:
a. The Vice Chancellor – Chairman
b. The Deputy Vice Chancellor – Member
c. The University Librarian – Member
d. Provost – Member
e. Deans of Postgraduate School, Faculties, and Student Affairs- Member
f. All Professors in the University – Member
g. Heads of Academic Departments and Directors of Academic Units – Member
h. Registrar -Secretary
Functions of Senate
In accordance with the provisions of the enabling charter of the University, the general function of Senate is to organise and control the teaching, admission of students and research in the University. In particular it is the function of Senate to make for:
• The establishment, organisation and control of campuses, colleges, faculties, departments, schools, institutes and other teaching and research units of the university, and the allocation of responsibility of different branches of learning;
• The organisation and control of courses of study at the University and of the examinations held in conjunction with those courses, including the appointment of examiners, both internal and external;
• The award of degrees, and such other qualifications as may be prescribed, in connection with examinations held as aforesaid;
• The making of degrees, and such other qualifications as may be prescribed, in connection with examinations held as aforesaid;
• The establishment, organisation and control of halls of residence and similar institutions at the University;
• The supervision of the welfare of students at the University and the regulation of their conduct;
• The granting of fellowships, scholarships, prizes and similar awards in so far as the wards are within the control of the University; and
• Determining what descriptions of dress shall be academic dress for the purpose of the University, and regulating the use of academic dress.
In performing these functions effectively the University Senate constituted the following Committees saddled with different responsibilities:
Committees of Senate
• Committee of Provosts and Deans (CPD)
• Student Welfare Board
• Student Disciplinary Committee
• Library Board
• Student Work–Study and SIWES Committee
• Curriculum Committee
• Ceremonials Committee
• Central Strategic Planning Committee
• Business Committee of Senate
• Publications Committee
• ICT Management Board
• Committee on Scholarships, Bursaries and Prizes
• Timetable and Space Allocation Committee
• Board of Postgraduate School
• Committee on Research and Learned Conferences Funds
• Student Admissions and Screening Committee
• Student Support Services Committee
The section assists the Registrar in servicing of the Senate, CPD, and other Committees of Senate.
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference, composition and operations of the aforementioned Committees and Boards are contained in their respective reports.
Composition of CPD
The composition of CPD is as follows:
• Deans of Postgraduate School, Faculties and Student Affairs.
Functions of CPD
The Committee of Provost and Deans is one the Committees of Senate and its terms of reference are stated below:
• To consider matters on academic policies for the consideration of Senate, through the Vice Chancellor
• To advise the Vice Chancellor on student admissions
• To consider students’ applications for suspension of studies
• To consider any other matter referred to it by the Vice Chancellor or Senate.