undergraduateFaculty of Agriculture
About the Faculty of Agriculture
The Faculty of Agriculture is a foundation Faculty that began in 2002. With a full-fledged presence in the permanent site, the faculty is blessed with internationally acclaimed scholars. After graduating twelve sets of students since establishment, the Faculty has superintended over numerous community driven initiates and research with general town-gown relationship with the host community, Iwo. The following Departments make up the Faculty:
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Department of Animal Science and Fisheries Management
- Department of Environmental Management and Crop production
- Department of Food Science and Technology.
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE ECONOMICS AND EXTENSION
The Deparment of Agriculture Economics and Extension has two programmes namely:
- Bachelor of Agriculture in Agricultural Economics and Farm Management
- Bachelor of Agriculture in Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
Bachelor of Agriculture in Agricultural Economics and Farm Management –
(B. Agric. Agricultural Economics and Farm Management) – Duration: 5 years
The programme is established to produce first rate Agricultural Economists with a broad based training in Agricultural Sciences. At the end of the programme, its graduate will be equipped with a strong sense of ethical responsibility to provide solutions to problems of the Agricultural industry. The programme is designed to equip her graduates with sound diagnostic measures, updated techniques of analysis of economic resource utilization and efficiency. In addition to development of result oriented research, the programme provides avenues for developing and broadening of the entrepreneurial horizon of graduates.
The programme is expected to produce graduates who are capable of
- having comprehensive theoretical knowledge, practical skills and demonstration required for engaging in productive and economic agricultural production and the capacity to take up employment anywhere in Nigeria and the world at large.
- possessing sufficient technical, productive and entrepreneurial skills involved in production and research in any aspect of agriculture and other related disciplines.
- using the necessary skills and competence in applying economic principles to provide relevant and appropriate solutions to agricultural developmental problems.
- being relevant to the modern day industry and the society and contributing effectively to national development goals in agriculture.
- being self employed and self reliant by putting to use the acquired skills and creating jobs.
Bachelor of Agriculture in Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
(B. Agric. Agricultural Extension and Rural Development) – Duration: 5 years
The guiding philosophy of this programme, Agricultural Extension and Rural Development is to produce first rate graduates of international rating, trained for self reliance in the practice of Agriculture as a profession with attitudes that will inspire them to be agents of positive change in the society. The programme intentds to combine excellence in academics with love of humanity, borne out of God-fearing attitude, social responsibility and democratic ethos to provide solutions to the numerous problems of the agricultural industry, and the nation at large.
The programme aims at producing graduates who are capable of
- applying Agricultural Extension principles and philosophy to solve the numerous problems of Agriculture and Rural Development
- having a broad-based knowledge in Agriculture which will facilitate engagement entrepreneur agricultural ventures after graduation, thereby making the graduate a job creator
- equipping them with relevant skills and knowledge to impact positive attitudes on their social environment
- possessing ability to work in any part of the world with varying social settings and economic environment.
DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL SCIENCE AND FISHERIES MANAGEMENT
The Department has two programmes namely:
- Bachelor of Agriculture in Animal Science and Fisheries Managemen
- Bachelor of Fisheries and Aquaculture in Fisheries and Aquaculture
Bachelor of Agriculture in Animal Science and Fisheries Management
(B. Agric. Animal Science and Fisheries Management) – Duration: 5 years
The programme is established to produce first rate Animal Scientists with a broad-based training in agricultural sciences. These graduates would be equipped with comprehensive knowledge of the economics of livestock production that will ensure the availability of animal products needed by the populace. Also, they would be capable of proffering solutions to problems facing animal production in our environment. To achieve this, the objectives stated below are relevant for manpower development at the university level.
The programme is aimed at producing graduates who would be able
- to engage in production and research that will provide relevant and appropriate solutions to livestock production and improve agricultural productivity globally;
- o profitably put their skills into operation by seriously exposing them to experimental learning. This shall reduce unemployment in the country;
- o harness so-called agricultural wastes into feeding ingredients, thereby solving feed insecurity of livestock in particular and human in general;
- to fashion out problem solving applied researches of vital importance to the society;
Bachelor of Fisheries and Aquaculture in Fisheries and Aquaculture
(B. Fisheries and Aquaculture – Duration: 5 years
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AND CROP PRODUCTION
Two programmes hosted by this department are:
- Bachelor of Agriculture Degree Programme in Crop Production and Soil Management
- Bachelor of Forestry and Environmental Technology Degree Programme in Forestry and Environmental Technology
Bachelor of Agriculture Degree Programme in Crop Production and Soil Management
(B.Agric. Crop Production and Soil Management) – Duration: 5 years
Crop Production and Soil Management (CRP) programme is aimed at the production of graduates with comprehensive theoretical knowledge, practical skills and demonstrations required for engaging in productive and economic agricultural production. The programme is designed to equip her graduates with sound diagnostic measures, rapid crop multiplication techniques, crop varietal development and improvement. In addition to development of result oriented research, the program embraces the balancing of the natural ecosystem through the use of bio-control measures to enhance agricultural productivity and sustainability.
The objectives of the CRP programme are:
- to produce graduates geared towards self employment and self reliance;
- to produce graduates with sufficient technical, productive and entrepreneurship skills who will be involved in production, research and entrepreneurship in any aspect of agriculture and other related disciplines;
- to produce graduates farmers that are relevant to the industry and the society and who can contribute effectively to national development goals in agriculture;
- to produce experts in post-harvest management who would tackle the huge losses of agricultural produce;
- to develop result-oriented research towards foods security;
- to create unique learning opportunities through various approaches
Bachelor of Forestry and Environmental Technology Degree Programme in Forestry and Environmental Technology
(B. Forestry and Environmental Technology) – Duration: 5 years
Forestry and Environmental Technology (FET) is a developmental programme designed to provide a distinct dimension to contemporary reforms in environmental control by teaching appropriate technologies that utilize rural-urban provisions for the management of industrial and environmental issues. Sustainably managed resources are planned to be ecologically sound, socially acceptable and economically feasible. FET embraces forestry-related practices, biodiversity conservation, silvicultural treatments, non-wood forest resources management, forest industrial development, reduced impact logging (RIL), in addition to general industrial monitoring and evaluation basics that employ the use of analytical chemistry and industrial microbiology. In general, the programme adopts the green, clean and lean concepts as viable development paradigms.
The objectives of the FET programme are:
- to produce graduates in all aspects of environmental management needed to catalyze positive transformation of a polluted environment;
- to produce conducive learning environment and facilities that will train students to use their intellect and hands to achieve results in their chosen profession;
- to improve on existing stock of knowledge available to town planners, engineers, agriculture and forestry experts, industrial technocrats and financial planners on how the present world should be efficiently and sustainably managed;
- to fashion out problem-solving applied researches of vital importance to the society;
- to produce income generating services that give additional financial backing to the department and the university.
DEPARTMENT OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
There two programmes in this department namely:
- Bachelor of Science Degree Programme in Food Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics
Bachelor of Science Degree Programme in Food Science and Technology
(B.Sc. Food Science and Technology) – Duration: 5 years
Food Science and Technology is aimed at the application of science and engineering to the evaluation, processing, utilization, diversification, packaging, distribution and storage of foods. The philosophy of the programme is to produce technologically, skilled graduates capable of working in the existing food industries, using locally available raw materials to set up food processing industries to process and make nutritious, wholesome food available to consumers.
- To produce skilled technical and managerial manpower for agro-allied industries;
- To produce skilled manpower required to establish, manage and direct small, medium and large scale food processing and allied industries using available locally sourced raw materials in line with institutions’ mission of producing graduates with entrepreneurial capabilities;
- To produce graduates who will be involved in consultancy services in food product development, research and development, processing and preservation;
- To produce graduates with knowledge of design and fabrication of food processing equipment to assist in developing traditional technology;
- To produce graduates who will be able to teach Food Science and Technology and allied courses in appropriate institution of higher education.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics
(B.Sc. Nutrition and Dietetics) – Duration: 4 years
All the programmes are approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
Meet The Dean