undergraduateFaculty of Social And Management Sciences
About the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences
Starting humbly in 2002 as a foundation Faculty, the Faculty of social and management sciences popularly known as SMS is unarguably the biggest Faculty in Bowen University with Departments of Accounting and Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Mass Communication, Sociology, Political Science and Diplomatic Studies and Industrial Relations and Personnel Management.
DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN ACCOUNTING
(B. Sc. Accounting) – Duration: 4 years
It aims to develop students’ critical judgment, ability to observe, understand and analyse information from the sociological perspective. Graduates of Sociology can work in Public and Private sectors, Military, Health and Educational Institutions.
The Department is established to produce graduates of Accounting with sufficient skill to join the manpower needs in both public and private sectors.
- to prepare students for productive careers in both business and public enterprises;
- to enable students develop the ability of using modern Accounting and Management techniques;
- to enable students acquire the necessary professional competence which is required by Nigerian and International Accounting bodies;
- to prepare students for research at post-graduate level by exposing them to both contemporary quantitative and qualitative techniques.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN BANKING AND FINANCE
(B. Sc. Banking and Finance) – Duration: 4 years
The Department trains students to acquire necessary academic and professional proficiency needed by the Banking industry globally to meet the challenges of modern day dynamic banking occasioned by the unprecedented speed and the technological hype of the 21st century. The expertise of Banking and Finance graduate is mostly sought by the Banking industry and Financial institutions.
The philosophy of the programme is to produce graduates of Banking and Finance who are appropriately trained and infused with all the qualities needed to provide professional leadership and contribute to the society.
- to produce high caliber graduates in Banking and Finance capable of taking up responsible positions in the profession and society at large;
- to equip graduates with required analytical and managerial skills necessary to prepare them for the challenges of middle and top management positions in industrial and public organizations;
- to acquire the necessary professional proficiency needed by the banking industry globally;
- to prepare students for meeting the challenges of modern day dynamic banking system occasioned by high Information Technology and Globalization.
DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
(B. Sc. Business Administration) – 4 years
The Department equips and trains students with the knowledge needed for understanding and analysis of problems relating to the management of organization as well as develop their ability to operate effectively in an ever changing environment and ultimately solve societal problems. Services of graduates of this programme are required in public and private organizations. educational and financial institutions.
To actualize a programme that will develop the mind of the students and also impact theoretical and practical knowledge in all areas of business to the ends that the students will have sound analytical tools and excellent ethical business practices.
- to impact knowledge needed for an understanding and analysis of problems relating to the management of organizations;
- to develop in students, their creative capabilities to enable them operate effectively in an ever-changing environment;
- to develop in students the ability to solve societal problems in business.
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN ECONOMICS
(B. Sc. Economics) – Duration: 4 years
The Department is poised to train students to develop critical judgment. their ability to observe. understand, analyze and synthesize data on socio-economic issues, particularly regarding the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services, using relevant techniques in Economics that would enable them make contributions to national development. Employment opportunities abound for graduates of this programme in Research Institutes, Non Governmental Organizations, public and private sectors. educational and financial Institutions
The programme is designed to produce graduates who will be equipped to address issues relating to the economy in public and private sectors.
- develop and improve students’ understanding of Economics at various stages of development and the Nigerian society in particular;
- develop students’ critical judgment, their ability to observe, understand, analyse and synthesize data on socio-economic issues, using relevant techniques in Economics that would enable them to make contributions to national development;
- provide appropriate environment that enables the students of Economics to raise their level of creativity and promote attitudes and values for self-reliance.
DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN MASS COMMUNICATION
(B. Sc. Mass Communication) – 4 years
The Mass Communication programme is based on the premise that communication is fundamental to the creation of human communities and social institutions all over the world. Students in the programme appreciate the role of communication in the human society. The programme is poised to train students to be entrepreneurially independent, professionally competent and academically sufficient. Students are trained to listen, write, speak and eliminate noise in the communication process. Further, the use of modern media technology is emphasized in order to produce graduates who are relevant in the information-driven society. Our students are trained to further use communication beyond the popular lines.
The Department trains students to become professional communication practitioners capable of applying their communication skills across various disciplines and vocations. The disciplines provide manpower for Media Organizations (print and broadcast), Public Relations outfits, Educational institutions, Advertising firms and Publishing companies. The Department also trains students to employ practical communication skills for personal, corporate and national development.
- to equip students with skills and competence in the areas of emphases set out in the programme;
- to train students to become professionals and communication practitioners capable of applying their communication skills across various disciplines and vocations;
- to promote integrity, independence and resourcefulness among the students;
- to lay the foundation for a creative and fulfilling career among the students;
- to produce specialists who would be creative and enterprising.
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND DIPLOMATIC STUDIES
PROGRAMME: POLITICAL SCIENCE
(B.Sc. Political Science) – Duration: 4 years
The Department teaches students the appropriate tools of analysis for the emerging dynamic domestic and global politics. It also exposes them to the fundamentals of politics, administration and diplomacy. Expertise of Political Science graduate is required in Non Governmental Organizations, Multinational organizations, Public and Private sectors, Military and Educational institutions
PROGRAMME: INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND DIPLOMACY
(B.Sc. International Relations) – 4 years
This programme blends the theory of international relations with the real-world diplomacy of nation-states at bi-lateral and multi-lateral levels. The programme further sensitizes students to the changing nature of international politics and diplomacy from the state-centric to the dynamic multi-centric world of non-state actors, non- governmental organizations and significant individuals.
Students of International Relations and Diplomacy will have knowledge of the theories of international relations and would have acquired the relevant tools of analysis and application of international relations and diplomacy. In addition, they would have exposure to modern diplomatic practice. Their training will equip them to assess, predict and preempt issues and crisis in the international political, economic and strategic environment.
They will have an understanding of soft and smart power strategies within international relations discourse and better understand globalization and the inter-dependency of nations. Above all, they will learn to communicate decisions intelligently, fluently, persuasively and professionally.
- Graduates of this programme have career opportunities in diplomacy, government. journalism, non-governmental organizations, international business, international banking, consulting as well as teaching and research.
- The programme will produce graduates that can work in all levels of education and other organizations. The programme also will help produce graduates that can manage financial and human resources adequately in any organization they find themselves.
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN SOCIOLOGY
(B. Sc. Sociology) – 4 years
This programme aims to develop students’ critical judgment, ability to observe, understand and analyse information from the sociological perspective. Graduates of Sociology can work in Public and Private sectors, Military, Health and Educational Institutions.
The philosophy of the programme is to produce first rate graduates, grounded in Sociological theory, research techniques, and imbued with a strong sense of moral responsibility who can be depended on to manage key sectors of the Nigeria economy, be it public or private.
- To train students that will assist in providing solution to social problems.
- To develop the student’s critical judgement, his ability to observe, understand, analyze and synthesize information on socio-economic and socio-cultural problems using sociological methods and techniques.
- To enable the students identify and critically study the socio-economic and political forces influencing changes in the society.
DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS AND PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS AND PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
(B. Sc. Industrial Relations and Personnel Management) – Duration: 4 years
A four-year programme (if admitted on the basis of UTME) or A three-year programme (if admitted on the basis of Direct Entry). or A two year programme (If admitted on the basis of HND Certificate).
This programme provides students with the knowledge and skills that would enhance their competencies in social decision processes and solutions proffering situations in industries, corporate organizations, the civil service and the general global community.
This builds up individuals for competent and effective leadership in various fields of endeavour while providing them with a strong academic background in the methodology of research in the Social and Management Sciences that can be applied in solving societal problems.
The course also molds students into informed citizens in the analyses and evaluation of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management development from observational and theoretical standpoints.
Industrial Relations and Personnel Management (Human Resource Management) prepares students for diverse range and exciting career paths in: Government Organizations, Non-governmental Organizations, Civil Service, Civil Service, Parastatals, Commercial and Industrial Establishments, Teaching and Research Institutes.
Meet The Dean
Phone & Email